Healthy Recipes: Garden Pasta Salad
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
This lightly dressed pasta salad gets lots of flavor from kalamata olives and basil. A colorful mix of diced bell pepper, shredded carrot and tomatoes adds vitamins and minerals. Serve on a crisp bed of greens. Toss in canned chunk light tuna, cooked chicken or flavored baked tofu to add protein and make it more substantial.
- 2 cups whole-wheat rotini (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced yellow or red bell pepper (1 small)
- 1 cup grated carrots (2-4 carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup slivered fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, oil, vinegar (or lemon juice), garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add the pasta and toss to coat. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots, scallions, olives and basil; toss to coat well.
Per serving: 197 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 290 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (97% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Fiber (17% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)