Healthy recipe: florentine hash skillet
Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Here’s a super-quick all-in-one-skillet breakfast to start your day, loaded with hash browns, spinach, egg and cheese.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen hash browns or precooked shredded potatoes (see Note)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Layer hash browns and spinach into the pan. Crack egg on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the hash browns are starting to brown on the bottom, the egg is set and the cheese is melted, 4 to 7 minutes.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Ingredient note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 226 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (191% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat