Healthy recipe: Strawberry & blue cheese bruschetta
Yield: 1 dozen
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
The big, bold, salty and tangy flavor of blue cheese makes an unexpected but utterly delicious match with sweet juicy strawberries. This healthy bruschetta recipe makes a quick and easy appetizer. It is pretty topped with chopped green chives.
1. 12 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
2. 1 teaspoon sugar
3. 1/4 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
4. 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
5. 1-2 teaspoons water, if needed
6. 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
7. 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8. 12 slices whole-grain baguette (1/4 inch thick), warmed or toasted
1. Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl and let stand while you make the cheese spread.
2. Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in a small bowl using a fork. Add water, if necessary, for a thick but spreadable consistency. Stir in 1 tablespoon chives and pepper.
3. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture on each piece of baguette. Top with the sliced berries. Garnish with a sprinkle of chives, if desired.
Per piece: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium
1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat