Healthy recipe: Grilled chicken thighs with cucumber-mint salad
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
The cumin and coriander rub in this grilled chicken thigh recipe pairs deliciously with a minty cucumber salad. Chicken thighs can vary widely in size. Ask your butcher to hand-select 4 large thighs for this recipe. If you can only find small chicken thighs, cook 2 per person and reduce the grill time slightly.
1. 2 cups diced seeded English cucumber (about 1 large)
2. 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3. 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
4. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
5. 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
6. 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
7. 3 cloves garlic, minced
8. 1 teaspoon ground coriander
9. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
10. 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See broiler variation.)
2. Combine cucumber, mint, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until it becomes a paste. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, coriander and cumin. Rub the mixture on both sides of each chicken thigh.
4. Grill the chicken thighs until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cucumber salad.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
1. Broiler Variation: Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken thighs on it. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Per serving: 325 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 12 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
0 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat